Tuesday, November 27, 2007

In class today we talked about pictures, the ones in your mind that you form in thinking about how a day, or a relationship, or a trip to the next town may go. We come up with these based on our experiences or hopes, and we can dwell on them. If we have a vision of something good and reality doesn't match the vision we tend to get depressed, or angry, certainly disappointed. If our picture of vision for our day is negative then most likely it will be. I think there is a lot of truth to this and it matches Bible teaching. Speak good things, think on good things, be realistic. The article says we need to learn to let go of these visions at times- the ones we go over and over building negativity, or the ones that don't quite match reality. We need to embrace the reality and change our vision looking for the positive rather than the negative. All of this is very true. I had the students brainstorm of possible positive things that could happen to them today (I didn't say it but the positive things for them shouldn't involve negative things for other people), and we had some marvelous good thoughts. Good food, smiles from children, somebody holding a door, success on tests. I also asked if they had perfect relationships with others, and to develop a picture of some positives for that relationship (that they control). They readily agreed that focusing on negatives would lead to more relationship deteriorating.

Our next chapter is communications, and in reading ahead one of the statements is that communication is so complex, its a wonder we can. Theres the words, the tone, the posture, talking to a wide variety of listening practices. I believe in communication, and positive change in my life is a result of the visions I have for what I want and the way I communicate them. Interesting next chapter.

The Bible reading unfortunately is still very true even though it was written months ago. I'm still a response three. I do have a vision of what four looks like, unfortunately I also have visions (that I need to let go of) of the potential heartache and heartbreak in going there. it has manifested itself into fear and to some extent paralysis.


Matthew 13 Another chapter rich in teaching, my what sinners we are. Parable of the sower, this seems to indicate there are four Gospel responses. Not understanding or comprehending at all, God open the eyes of those people. Then there are those that hear the Word, receive it, but evidently not understand it because they fade when persecution comes. These are the people who believe the Christian walk is supposed to make life a walk in the park. Prosperity Gospel. The third response is hearing but getting caught up in the cares of the world, keeping the Christian walk separate from the rest of their lives. Go to church listen but do not apply it. These people aren't fruitful they may realize that the Christian walk involves trials, but its all about them. Understanding the Gospel is something the third response does not do. The fourth response are those that understand the Gospel and apply it to life (all parts). These people become the leaven for the world, or the salt. This response is uniquely based on understanding.
I personally feel I'm in the third response, but hoping for the fourth. The "cares of this world" the bondage of debt I have allowed myself to get into. I so want to get out, but don't know how in light of worldly obligations. Its has been one of my more or less constant struggle and prayer. I believe the answer God has shown me involves getting those people around me to embrace the fourth response. Family in particular so my prayer is to get OUR priorities right, because I'm learning and growing still myself. I resolve to follow God's teaching, but then a trial comes and I fail giving the world response instead of the Godly one. According to The Word I don't fully understand.
I see where I want to be but don't know how to get there, maybe I'm too lazy. I hate conflict or maybe its fear.
Continuing in the chapter the wheat and the tares story. Interestingly cleaning up the world is an option but Jesus rules it out, letting the wheat and tares grow together. He does this to prevent any wheat from being uprooted. Wheat being followers of Christ, Tares being those who don't follow Christ. The thought there was how can removing evil from the world uproot good? I think from a practical standpoint removing evil may mean our lives would be affected on a very intimate level. We hope the best for our family members, but we do not know their hearts. There may also be some people who appear Godly but really are not and watching those people get removed may be too much for some Christians to take. After all the wheat and tares are actively growing.
Jesus then describes the kingdom of heaven - a little seed like a mustard seed becomes the biggest plant. A few faithful workers can make a tremendous difference. Or Christians are like leaven, a little causes the whole loaf to rise.
At the end of the age, those who attempt to hinder God, knowingly or unknowingly will be cast into outer darkness where they will realize and regret their bad choices.
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure in a field sell ALL so that you can purchase the field. Or sell ALL to buy the precious pearl.
At the end of the chapter people are amazed at Jesus teaching (He's in His hometown), but they start looking at Him through the flesh and close their eyes to the Spirit that is guiding Him and therefore do not believe. Their unbelief caused Him not to do many miracles. He could have, but did not due to their unbelief. Is a sign of unbelief that few miracles happen? Have you seen any lately?

No comments: