Friday, September 7, 2007

Yesterday in my going through the new testament I read about the widow's offering. That needs some explanation- I go through the new testament, then review it later before posting it on the blog. I'm many entries away from the widow's offering, but the interesting thing is I read it, and the same scripture was part of the daily devotional that was sent to me. This person reflected that gifts to God are measured not by what you give or the amount, but rather what you are willing to give up or as they put -what you have left after giving. I never thought of it along those lines, but its interesting. Additionally it is an area I struggle with. I look forward to reviewing this again and maybe remembering at some future time.

I continue to be tired, and am putting my foot down that some things need to change. I mopped water in a lab today (AC condensate), my office is getting dimmer. These are the facts, my feelings are ones of frustration. I may have fixed the condensate leak, we will see Monday.

My other projects seem to be going well, an ice cream social may be in the works. I certainly hope so.

I didn't edit this, it looked very good and was a joy to re-read. Luke 5 Luke records the calling of the first disciples. Luke has more detail, the first disciples follow Jesus after hearing a sermon and witnessing Him prospering their business through a large catch. He then heals a leper and a paralytic- the one whose friends lowered him through the roof. Jesus also call Levi the tax collector who invited Jesus to a party. Jesus makes two interesting statements near the end of the chapter "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance" and later in a parable says" No one after drinking old wine wants new: for he says, 'the old is good enough.' " The law pointed clearly to Christ, although we have the benefit of looking back. The law was also misinterpreted and was made by some factions into a legalistic burden on people. It took faith to follow the old covenant and those who earnestly attempted to keep the law and were honest with themselves sought God's mercy and forgiveness. They knew they had failed . others compared their success in keeping the law with others and felt like if they were doing a better job of keeping the law then they somehow justified themselves. Jesus statement implies to me that if interpreted correctly the old covenant made folks righteous. In some way they knew they needed God's help and like Abraham said "the Lord Himself will provide the sacrifice". They then looked ahead to Christ and recognized Him when they saw him - like as a baby in the temple. So Christ came not to call the righteous (which there had to be some for Him to say it), but rather to reach out to sinners people who had decided to live for themselves or realized they had already miserably failed at keeping the Law and had given up.

No comments: