Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Two recent thought streams

Two things have been on my mind lately, and instead of continuing to mull them over, I thought I would share.

The first is the sanctuary temperature, but it could apply to your house, your business, your car. It is remarkable to observe people in the context of whether they feel they are too hot or too cold. Have you ever met anyone that was "just right" temperature wise. I regularly hear turn up the air (or down- the point being change the set point), because "I" am "burning up" or "I" am "cold". I feel the thermostat is set properly when I hear an equal number of requests for adjustment in opposite directions.

I've been told I over analyze so maybe I'm guilty. I'm starting to be more aware of the word "I". I am this, I want this, I think this. Can we really ever please "I"? Lets take the temperature and consider this. Instead of focusing on your own discomfort, consider this:
The temperature or environment could in some way clearly be worse- really hot, really cold, humid, in the sun, etc. So be thankful for the fact that it isn't.
The other thing is consider someone other than "I", are you willing to be a little hot if it means another person won't feel as cold? Or are you willing to be a little cold if it will make someone less hot.

This temperature discussion may seem silly but it is a pretty good indicator of how self focused a group of people tend to be. God in his wisdom even in families put this indicator. Are you willing to experience slight (compared to what it could be it is slight) discomfort in order that your brother or sister (wife, husband, child) will feel more comfortable.

Interesting....

Now for the other thought. I was reading in Jeremiah about Hannaniah the "prophet" who is as it turned out to be a false prophet that God let die. "False prophets" ordinarily ignored, considered in my mind to be people who "just don't know God", but then I wondered if I was one, and thought about the road that leads to that point.

A prophet is generally one that has messages from God for the people. That Hannaniah was called one to me indicates a history of some kind that he was recognized as hearing from God. Most of us don't get a label unless we have performed, or others have witnessed some evidence that supports the label. So someone recognized him as hearing from God - or at least there seemed to be evidence of it.

Well he then prophesizes good news - the Babylonian threat will be gone within two years and the temple restored, and treasures taken returned. In actual fact the temple was restored, and the treasures sent back. The only mis-information he proclaimed was the time frame. Instead of two years, it was actually after two generations of the king. So his prophecy wasn't as far off as you initially think, he got a word wrong. It was clearly false though.

Why did he say it, and he clearly said it with a passion. I wonder if he saw the truth (that the people would suffer and the city of Jerusalem would be destroyed) and talked himself into something other than what God had planned. All of us humans want to avoid suffering (then and today), I have heard recently of a statement that the rapture isn't clearly taught. Could it be that it won't happen, that I might have to endure the tribulation period -if that happens in my life time. Am "I" looking for the easy way out. Was Hannaniah so longing that Jerusalem would not be destroyed that he convinced himself of his position -even though it wasn't of God?

Of course the other side of the rapture coin is that - not expecting it, we don't have to prepare for Jesus' return. We don't have to live "ready", we don't have to be in a hurry to witness. That position also avoids human hardship or stress.

Back to Hannaniah, God let him die because he misled people. Was he misled by satan, similarly to the way Eve was in the garden? Satan confused Eve (and Adam) to the point where she acted on it resulting in her death.

OK I've over-analyzed enough. It is neat all the parallels in the Bible. The question remains - how do we not be misled. The people in Hannaniah's day listened to him, a part of them liked what they heard, so it became easier for them to believe him and agree with him. In our walks we also can be misled by people we think have God's message, that is a clear indicator of the need for us to seek God and personally learn to listen to Him on an individual level. Anything other than what we get ourselves from God could be misleading us.

Books written by Christian authors can be dangerous in this regard- read them yes, but ask God to confirm or deny for you - He will - He seeks relationship. I think the initial resistance to "anything but King James" is also a result of this (interesting that this came up last night), the reality that people can easily be misled by the works of man would naturally bring about resistance to a new version or versions of God's word. While it is possible for a Bible version or parts to be corrupted (unintentionally or intentionally) it is also possible that God actively protects His word.

He has definitely brought things to my mind when reading and contemplating His word. In many different versions too. The advice I heard once of "the best Bible version is the one YOU will read" is still true. God will speak to those who seek Him, He desires to.

No comments: