Wednesday, October 31, 2007

been a while

Its interesting the topic of the writings. First of all I read in acts about Paul seeing that a man crippled from birth had the faith to be healed and told the man to be healed, and he was. In reviewing below the healings of Jesus (at least some of them) it was an action that demonstrated the faith to be healed. When we get sick we fall into rituals like the Pharisees, and rely on the ritual for help rather than the Healer. I think that was Jesus entire point when He was critical of the Pharisees.

The second passage gives us some more detail of a healing and I actually like what I wrote almost a year ago. Its all about faith. In the last of the passage I talk about the sabbath, and it has been quite a while since I had a blog entry. My initial reaction is that work has become hectic, I need to give tests, I've been involved in meetings, and we have had some issues that have just plain made me mad. Policies where I work seem to appear from nowhere and are documented in the same place, and yet compliance is expected. In discussing it I'm expected to just accept it. Two things come to mind - parents often don't document their policies, and I feel I am the victim of disrespect. Another policy came up during the discussion and what is supposed to be acceptable in one case, is not acceptable in another case (more work is required). Oh well the most important thing in my life is trying to live for God, I know I fail. Interestingly enough a radio program reminded me today that Christians tend to divest from life or interaction on a personal level with unbelievers. They want their own world, Christain schools for their kids, only involved in church activities. That was interesting and very true. If God is the most important thing in my life then this blog and my readings should supercede other things. I've got to make reading and writing thoughts a priority, and hopefully sharing them as well. I also need to focus on a vision of what God wants for my work as opposed to how it actually is today, and how it falls short. I can then see the milestones necessary to get where it needs to be and pray accordingly. That is how the Lord has shown me to be positive rather than cynical and negative. I finally listened.


Matthew 9 Jesus is in His own city. Some friends of a paralytic bring this person to Jesus to be healed. He first tells him his sins are forgiven. Then He tells him to take up his bed and walk. Does this mean we have to be right with God before He will heal us? Later in the same chapter the woman suffering a hemorrhage for twelve years realizes she only needs to touch Jesus to be healed and she makes her way through the crowd and touches Him. Jesus feeling the power go out from Him stops and points out the woman. He tells her that her faith has healed her. I've often wondered why Jesus didn't let this healing stay in private, just let her be healed and for her to know God did it. Its part of we have to acknowledge Him, God gets the glory for His work in our lives and furthermore He is the reason we get every good and perfect gift. Between the two acts of healing He is at Matthews house and the Pharisees ask Him why He is with sinners. He re-states an old testament verse where God says He doesn't want a persons sacrifice but rather to have that person show mercy and compassion. This is precisely what the Pharisees had forgotten about, its very easy to fall into ritual and a ritual can seemingly be a sacrifice because it is planned, but showing compassion results in true sacrifice because compassion makes us alter our plans.

Mark 2 In Marks account we get a little more detail of the paralytic's healing. First four men had agreed that Jesus could help this person. If they didn't agree would they have acted by helping carry him to Jesus? Once they got near Jesus they were faced with an obstacle, instead of turning around they sought a solution. Digging a hole in someone's roof in front of a multitude of witnesses is another demonstration that they were convinced Jesus could heal this person. Another passage is Mark 2:17 where Jesus said He did not come to call the righteous but sinners. Part of beginning a relationship with Jesus is to admit we are sinners and we are full of sin. A righteous person may have convinced himself he is not a sinner and doesn't need Jesus. Ben Franklin said the Lord helps those who help themselves, but too much self sufficiency may lead to a denial of our true condition as humans. A person like that may not seek Him like they should. To feel we are righteous is to in a way deny our need for Jesus, and Jesus said He isn't going after those who are righteous, but rather those that come to the recognition that they need Him. The last scripture that really speaks to me in this reading of the new testament is the one about sabbath being made for man. I often feel incredibly burdened by responsibility and duty and its very important to take some time out to spend with God and focus on His majesty. We often lose perspective and get caught up in our hustle and bustle lives. The sabbath is about reflecting getting back to proper perspective. For me it means not doing some things, although some tasks I still do on Sunday would be considered work. The Pharisees made rigid rules and forgot the intent. The disciples walking with Jesus realized that God provided the grain they were eating, the soldiers with David also knew that God was providing for their needs. Oh what good it would do for all of us to walk with the Lord - and we should be.

No comments: